I own Maruku now

So it turns out that I own Maruku now. Let’s start at the beginning.

Maruku is a Markdown interpreter written in Ruby. It’s one of many Markdown interpreters available to Ruby programmers, but it’s notable in that it is written only in Ruby, without relying on compiled C libraries or anything like that. This makes it nice as a default option for dealing with Markdown files, because it will run on any platform and on any flavor of Ruby.

My interest in Maruku stemmed from working on Middleman and trying to get it working in JRuby and on Windows. Ruby libraries that require compiling C code are problematic on Windows (a platform not exactly favored by Rubyists), and are even harder to get working with JRuby, which (some tricks aside) won’t load Ruby libraries that rely on C extensions. Middleman uses Tilt to allow users to choose which Markdown engine they want, but we chose Maruku as the default to provide easy setup and testing under JRuby and on Windows.

Unfortunately, Maruku had been abandoned at this point, and for several years at that. Maintainership had been transfered from Andrea Censi, the original author, to Natalie Weizenbaum, who did a bunch of cleanup. Natalie ended up getting busy with other important projects, and didn’t release a new version of the gem or working much on Maruku after that. Issues piled up, Maruku wasn’t updated to work with Bundler or Ruby 1.9, and generally began to rot.

During this period, Jacques Distler continued to enhance the library in his own fork, most notably replacing the use of Ruby’s built in REXML library with Nokogiri, which not only provided a speed boost, but fixed a lot of bugs having to do with REXML’s quirks. Jacques continued to fix bugs reported in the main Maruku issue tracker on his own fork, but nobody was around to merge them into the main repository or release a new version of Maruku.

In early May 2012 I heard news that Natalie had chosen a new maintainer for Haml to carry on the project now that she didn’t have time for it. I tweeted what I didn’t intend to be a snarky message to her asking if she was considering a similar move for Maruku. She responded quickly, asking if I was volunteering, and I agreed to manage issues for the project, and just like that I had commit access to the repository. Unfortunately, I couldn’t just jump in, because I needed to get permission from my employer to contribute to the project. This took almost three months, and I felt like a jerk the whole time for not doing anything for Maruku after being given responsibility for it. The approval came right as I was was preparing for a long trip to Africa, and so I wasn’t able to jump right on it, but after I got back I started dusting off the code and getting things into shape. I started bugging Natalie to switch options for me in GitHub (like enabling Travis CI builds), and she simply moved the repository to my account and gave me full control of everything.

Right away I was able to release Maruku 6.0.1, which includes only a single fix since the previous release – an annoying warning that appeared when running under Ruby 1.9. Since then, I’ve been chipping away at Maruku as much as I can, starting with merging Jacques' fixes, and then turning my attention towards correcting the tests, which often asserted results that weren’t actually correct. After that, I’ve been mostly working on getting the corrected tests to pass again, especially in JRuby. While Jacques' change to Nokogiri is a boon to speed and accuracy, it resulted in a handful of regressions under JRuby, many of which traced down to bugs in Nokogiri itself (which have all been fixed quickly by the Nokogiri maintainers). Only a few days ago, I finally got the tests running green in MRI, JRuby, and Rubinius. I had to skip certain tests that are exposing actual bugs in Maruku, but at least I now have a basis for improving the code without accidentally breaking one of the existing tests.

My present plan is to work towards releasing Maruku 0.7.0 (with a beta beforehand) as a bugfix release including the Nokogiri changes. I’ll fix whatever bugs I can without drastically changing the code, document in tests everything I can’t fix easily, and make sure there aren’t any more regressions from the previous release. I’d actually rather minimize or remove the usage of Nokogiri in the library, simply so that Maruku can have fewer dependencies, but that may not be an attainable goal. Maruku 0.7.0 will also drop support for Rubies older than 1.8.7.

Looking forward, I want to release Maruku 1.0.0, with some more drastic changes. I’m thinking about a new API and internals that are much more friendly to extension and customization, deprecating odd features and moving most everything but the core Markdown-to-HTML bits into separate libraries that plug in to Maruku, and general non-backwards-compatible overhauls. I’m also hoping that, with the original authors' and major contributors' support, I can relicense Maruku under the MIT license instead of GPLv2, to make it easier for Maruku to be used in more situations. Overall, my goal for Maruku is to make it the default Markdown engine for Ruby, with a focus on compatibility (across platforms, Rubies, and with other Markdown interpreters), extensibility, and ease of contribution.

For everyone who has reported bugs in Maruku, thank you for your patience. For everyone interested in the future of Maruku, feel free to watch the repository on GitHub to see the commits flowing, or subscribe to the gem on RubyGems.org to be notified of new releases. When the beta for the next release comes out, I’ll be excited to have people take it for a spin and let me know what’s still broken.

comments powered by Disqus
I'm Benjamin Hollis, a software developer in Seattle. Check out my website.